The Scent of Spring and Summer
Skillful mulch application is one of the many elements offered by our Estate Management Division to enhance the appearance, improve plant health, and reduce soil erosion. When our crew arrives, they will first scout the affected areas for any weeds, debris, and plants with broken or ill branches that require immediate pruning. After appropriate cleanup has been completed, we can apply both appropriate fertilizers and herbicides to improve plant health and provide additional protection from weed germination. Pre-existing mulch will be either turned to provide faster composting, or removed depending on depth. The last step before the fresh layer is applied is generally cutting a new clean edge to define the garden space and give it a fresh appearance. After the new mulch has been spread, a final and thorough walk around and cleanup of any overspray on plants is performed, trees crowns inspected to ensure there is a gap between material and bark, and the overall area has a neat and tidy appearance.
Benefits of Mulching
- Enhances the appearance of the plants and your property.
- Controls weeds by blocking sunlight that causes weed seeds to germinate.
- Reduces the amount of evaporation from the soil, which requires less watering for plants.
- Insulates plant root systems during the winter and keeps them cool during the summer.
- Adds organic matter to the soil as it decomposes.
- Reduces erosion and allows rainfall to absorb into the soil at a better rate than a bare surface.